10 Reasons to Avoid Sugar
- Blood Sugar: Excess sugar consumption may cause insulin resistance, which can cause adverse impacts on blood sugar health.
- Heart Health: An abundance of sugar in the diet is linked to negative effects on heart health, even those within a healthy weight range.
- Cellular Health: Numerous studies have shown sugar and high insulin levels are associated with insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), which can negatively impact cellular health.
- Higher Triglycerides: Eating a high sugar and high carb diet may raise triglycerides, which is a better predictor of heart health than total cholesterol.
- Faster Aging: Sugar in the blood attaches to proteins and causes AGE (Advanced glycation end products). These stressors cause oxidative stress in the body and can adversely affect skin health and appearance.
- Digestive Health: Too much sugar may cause a strong disruption in gut flora balance, which may negatively impact GI health.
- Impaired Learning: A diet high in sugar and processed foods may impair memory, the ability to learn, and a reduction in IQ later in life.
- Tooth Decay: Sugar is the number one cause of tooth decay and tooth removal.
- Respiratory Health: Children who drink more than ½ liter of soft drinks are more likely to suffer from complications with respiratory health.
- Weight Management: Sugar drives insulin, the fat-storing hormone. Fructose and sucrose do not affect satiety and, therefore, some may continue to eat and drink beyond what the body requires.